Wednesday, February 22, 2006

In politics...

Contrary to popular belief, I do still follow politics closely. I suppose I should blog about it more. But I'm so sick of the games, I just can't bring myself to care as much as I do.

I'm a partisan Democrat. All things being equal, I will choose the Democratic candidate. I believe our only hope for progressive politics lies in the Democratic Party. And then they do stupid things!

In California, term limits has every politician jockeying for their next post. Why they can't just retire after 6 or 8 years and become an overpaid lobbyist, I don't understand. Had I actually won my assembly seat, I would have been willing to quit after 2 years to become an overpaid lobbyist. Hell, I'd quit after swearing in ceremony for the right offer.

Image hosting by PhotobucketSo, Martin Ludlow was the spawn of the labor movement. He gets elected to the Los Angeles City Council, only to quit 2 years into his first term to take a job at the helm of the LA County Federation of Labor. Feeling no sense of obligation to his constituents, he jumped at the "more powerful" position. And I figure, he'd probably be back in elected politics in a few years any way, just this time with a greater sense of obligation on the part of big labor.

Of course, when he resigned from the council, someone had to run. And that someone is former Assembly speaker Herb Wesson. Wesson will likely give up his seat in a couple of years to run for the LA County Board of Supervisors. If you were one of the little old ladies that works at the polls this is great for you. Lots of special elections. If you are, I don't know, say democracy, this is bad for you. The people in this district continually get shit upon. Fortunately, they are mostly poor and non-white, so who really cares, right?

So pardon my smirk when I read on my sick day that Ludlow has resigned from the County Federation of Labor. Apparently, he likely to come under a criminal indictment for violating campaign finance laws. Ironically enough, it's all about union money. I know my schadenfreude isn't attractive, but this is simply too good to ignore!

No comments: