Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Smug Satisfaction of Being a Prick

How do I loathe many of the people I work with? Seriously, these people are useless. Somehow I became the accidental techie of the office. Perhaps it's because of a brain capacity greater than a 3 year-old... turkey! Perhaps it's because I can read. Mostly, it's because I have magic powers and can see that little "Help" menu at the top of EVERY SINGLE window I open.

I hate being the accidental techie. I've been yelled out when the answer I gave wasn't what they wanted to hear. I've been dragged off the phone by someone who had to have immediate access to their eBay account. It can be brutal, but it's my reality.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Everyone in the office comes to me -- everyone except for the "Tuna Melt" chef, the temptress of Chatsworth, the Grand Dame of the Office Collection. Mrs. Kiss Ass was never a fan of mine, nor me her. It's only become worse since I've set my sights on both her beloved Pot Luck and office gift giving.

Today, she broke the postal meter. That's techie! Whoever will help her? Well, she's now asked 3 co-workers to help her while avoiding me. And she's asked them in Spanish, assuming I'm too ignorant to understand her and won't chime in with assistance. (I still haven't told many people here that while I don't speak Spanish, after studying it for five years I can understand it pretty well.)

She can ask the homeless guy peeing on my window in Pig Latin for all I care. I will not volunteer my services until she comes wallowing into my office, reduced to her crippled, arthritic knees, tears causing the blue eye shadow to run down her face. And then, I'll walk over to the maching and hit the power button, because I'm sure that's all it needs!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you love it when people try to punish you by not bothering you? Must be one of those passive aggressive tactics they learn at fat camp to eat 30 twinkies, instead of 32. Oh wait, it was gordo campo for her.

Rick Andreoli said...

Okay, this Chris guy is funny, too... You make'a me laugh long time. Ole!

Damian said...

If all the people who knew how to work computers and technology formed a union, we could demand sky-high benefits from the techno-dunderheads.

Knowing how to fix the copy machine is one of the most important skills in business and yet those of us who know how to do so are rarely paid more than our counterparts who don't.

The techies... united... shall never be defeated!

Si se puede fijar la máquina del franqueo!