Thursday, November 02, 2006

Friends Possible?

It's been just over a week since the break-up. Sure, it's not as monumental as Diana and Charles, but for me, it's still big. I think I'm handling it well. Blogging helps. Blogging allows me to think out my feelings.

Of course, you might be thinking that I've only done one post and one mention. Not true. I've written more. I've just had the sense to delete other posts before they were published.

I just can't wrap my head around it at times.

I am a brutally honest and up-front person. I'm an open book. When I have to shit, I say, "I have to shit." When I'm horny, I say, "I need to get laid." I rarely concern myself with timing or appropriateness. Who cares that I'm in a church or chatting with a friends grandma. If I got to poop, then I got to poop. Afterall, everyone poops.

I'm also horribly inpatient. I want answers now. I want to do things now. I might be dead in 15 minutes, so there's no point in waiting. Hell, I want to poop now. I'd hate to die from a blocked up colon.

Here's the dilemma. These factors create a situation in which I am becoming more and more angry with the ex each day.

I'm not holding out hope that we'll get back together. After giving me his reason, there's no way. He picked the one non-negotiable that hurts my feelings, is unchangeable, and not my fault. There's no fixing or changing on my end. I just need to be content with who I am and move on. And I think I am ready.

His reason for the break-up, while iniatially brutal, also helped me realize my own self-worth and recognize his weaknesses, his failings, as a boyfriend. While up until the minute the words came from his mouth I saw a bright future, his feelings quickly framed everything. The epiphany that followed a couple days later, that dumping me was both a very honest and real decision on his part and extremely opposed to his own personal best interest, set me up to "be friends."

That's what he wanted. That's why he said he made all those plans with me but wasn't lying to me. But his actions belie his words. How does this happen?

How do you stay friends with an ex?

Where does the friendship pick up?

For me, to protect my own ego, the friendship would rely on his initiation. I don't see that happening. Since dumping me, he hasn't initiated any contact. He seems content with just letting things fall where they are. That's not me. I'm a planner. A problem solver. And inpatient as hell.

I'm afraid that there is no future. Not unless he really wants to be friends and reaches out. And really, what future is that? I have a lot of friends. I have a great family. What is he bringing to the table that's unique and different besides heartache and disappointment?

Thanks for indulging me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bri-
Sorry to hear of your loss..or should I say his?You're great..if I were a gay man...I'd date you (just a little humor for you!)You could meet Carrie Harry , Gary and I in Vegas next weeend for my birthday..would love to see you
Shelley

Damian said...

You should talk to my sibs, they are great at staying friends with their exes. Don't know how they do it myself.

Anonymous said...

If you even have a chance at being friends, you need a chilling-down time. You really need to not be in touch and not talk until you feel like you've had time to get over him. Staying in total contact after a breakup only hurts you. It might even stop you from meeting someone new... maybe the guy you really were meant to spend your life with. Also, after a little time, you'll be more rational and less emotional and able to answer the real question... IS THIS GUY EVEN WORTH BEING FRIENDS WITH? Take it from a guy who is friends with his ex. a 7 year relationship! Only time will tell.

Anonymous said...

You do have a lot of friends.
xo

d-town said...

my sister and her ex-girlfriend of 2.5 yrs are trying their very best to stay friends. hell, they even still live together, which i told her ad naseum to think twice before committing to. add a third twist, the ex girlfriend started dating a guy not a month after they broke up. my sister's back on men, too.

only women can do that!