Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Coats

Every time someone from Los Angeles moves to a colder climate, we have to hear about their need for coats. Last night, I came home about 10:00 PM and noticed that it was particularly cold. This opened my eyes to the fact that in Los Angeles, it does get cold enough to wear coats. Why don't we?

On my way in to work, I was thinking about mass transit and possibly moving somewhere where I could easily commute using public transportation. Then I realized that I'd need to wear a coat.

We Angelenos don't need coats because, in the winter, we don't spend a lot of time outside. We go from our homes to our cars to drive in to work alone, to the office and back to the car. We use artificial heat in all these places.

1 comment:

d-town said...

while i had coats when i lived in atlanta and growing up in SC, you didn't need heavy ones at all. in fact, i didn't own a wool dress overcoat until i moved to DC. in the south, where it does get cold (but rarely artic-type cold), you throw on a jacket, hop into you car, then go into the office.

here in dc you have to bundle up when you go out in similar temps because you're just exposed to the elements longer. longer exposure to the heat/humidity in the summer is also a somewhat similar issue.