Friday, March 30, 2007

First Times

I did something last night that I've never done before: I went out alone.

There was this show I wanted to go see, this singer, Jay Brannan, was doing a show at a bar/restaurant type place in the Hollywood area. I put out a pitch to friends and got a few bites. This was going to be a fun night out. Mix in that I have today (Friday) off for Cesar Chavez day and it could be an epic night.

Things change. One friend baled last week. Another earlier this week. Finally, the last one -- the guy who introduced me to this artist -- worked late and was dead tired. At 8:45 I had to face a decision: to go or not. Normally, I wouldn't go.

I've never been to a movie by myself. I've never eaten at a restaurant where I waitress takes your order and sat at the table alone. I don't "do" much alone, which might seem weird for someone who spends most of his time single. Maybe I should. Normally, I try to surround myself with people, or I stay in.

It's not that I don't appreciate being alone. Today, I'm alone at home. I like sitting in bed and reading. I like walking through the city alone. I like exploring the library alone. I like being alone.

I'm just not good at breaking social taboos, like going "out" alone. Last night, I did. It was a lot of fun and I'm glad I didn't let my crappy, flaky friends ruin my chance to see Jay preform live.

Here's a couple videos:





Okay, I cheated. I did run into two friends. This is another first for me. I kind of was seeing one for a while. The other is his super AWESOME fun lesbian friend. (That's a little shout out to her, as she mentioned she still reads the blog.) I haven't seen him for months. An random email since we went out a few times. Not much else. But it's funny. I find myself staying in contact with -- even friends with -- people I've dated over the last few years. That's weird. I've never really stayed friends with "exes". I like it.

I liked the show, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy going out on my own sometimes. I enjoy movies by myself. But, most people don't do it often.