Monday, March 19, 2007

Learning To Swim

Parents are deceitful bastards. Santa Claus. Easter Bunny. Tooth Fairy. But nothing is worse than the way they teach us to swim: they try to drown us. "Come here, swim to Mommy." As mom slowly walks backward, making me swim farther. What if I can't make it? Why does the "goal" keep moving.

That's how I feel right now. Things could be pretty easy right now, if other people would just stay still and let me reach them. I'm swimming hard. I want to be there, but they keep taking those steps backwards. Relationship. Career. Friends. They keep stepping back, thinking, hoping I'll eventually catch them.

What if I don't? What if I just stop and wait for them to come and pull me out of the water? My mom always came through in the end. Will they?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post makes me sad. It also makes me want to go swimming at the gym. Wierd.