Thursday, March 15, 2007

And now for something completely different.

Want to know what bugs me? People misinterpretting the Beach Boys' "California Girls." This morning, LAist.com, one of my favorite pro-LA sites reminded Cal State Long Beach students why they are fortunate to be living in Southern California rather than Knoxville Tennessee. (It's some sports thing. Read it yourself.) Number 5 on their list was: "The Beach Boys didn’t sing “I wish they all could be Tennessee girls” for a reason."

I've seen this mistake more times than I can count. The song is not saying that California girls are better than girls from other parts of the country. The song is saying that American girls kick ass -- girls from all over the country -- and since they, the Beach Boys, live in California they wish all of the girls lived here.

Thank you.

No comments: