Monday, March 05, 2007

Who you calling a Faggot?



No doubt you've heard by now that Ann Coulter called a former United States Senator and Democratic candidate for president a "faggot." Classy. With a captial K.

Ann Coulter is a douchebag. That's a given. That she would stoop to the lowest levels in human nature, let alone political debate, is no surprise. She is scum. People who buy and read her books are pretty low, too. I'm not upset by what Ann Coulter said because she has upset me so many more time in that past.

I am, however, upset that yesterday afternoon, around 12:30, I was resting in a hotel room in Los Angeles with my parents, my sister-in-law and my two neices, ages 2 and 6, and had to watch the above clip... in its entirety.

I don't want to sound sanctimonious, but the word faggot has no place on midday telvision. Had she called Hillary Clinton a bitch, Joe Biden a cunt, Bill Richardson an asshole, or the more obvious, Barack Obama a nigger, you can bent your lunch money that the producers would have "bleeped" out the expletive.

I dread my neices asking their parents what a faggot is, especially when they are old enough to decipher that the wretched word in question describes their uncle. I don't think my parents, who have loved me and raised me, need to hear that word on the news, a word that describes their son in the most viscuous terms. It's not that the word faggot doesn't have a place in a political debate, its that the word should have no place in our society at large.

And we all know that there are other words -- one in particular -- that have been completing blacklisted from civilized language. Why does the word faggot not enlist the same disgust? Just a question...

UPDATED (Monday, 10:50 AM): Elizabeth Edwards, non-homosexual wife of John Edwards, responded on her husband's campaign web site to Ann Coulter. Here is what she had to say:
When Miss Coulter spoke about John at the conservative convention in Washington yesterday, she used a word that she intended as a nasty and derogatory suggestion. John and I have long ago shrugged off the vile words of this person. When she made a joke about the exact moment of death of Charlie Dean (Howard's brother and a schoolmate of mine), and when she attacked the courageous 9-11 widows, she told you all you need to know about what she is made of: her compassion -- or lack thereof. Now we need to find out about you.

Although her words did not hurt us, they may have hurt some in the gay community. We are all sick and tired of anyone supporting or applauding or introducing hate words into the national dialogue, tired of people thinking that words that cause others pain are fair game. And we are sick and tired of people like Miss Coulter thinking that her use of loaded words about the homosexual community in this country is remotely humorous or appropriate.

John gave a graduation speech at NC State several years ago, and in it he said that none of us can stand by when words of bigotry and division are used. It is only when the rest of us stand up and say that this is not acceptable that we drum out the hate-mongers from amongst us. The first reaction in the room at the conservative convention yesterday was a gasp -- a horrified gasp, even -- but it did not last. In a few seconds, those who were not horrified started clapping and drowned out the gasps.

Now it is our turn to drown out the hate. Find a way -- whether it is contribution here that sends a message to Miss Coulter and those who applauded her (which, of course, I prefer) or whether it is a statement on this blog or others or all of the above -- but please find a way not to sit silent in acceptance. It doesn't change until we say we will not be silent when this happens.
She said, "Although her words did not hurt us, they may have hurt some in the gay community." This is remarkable because it speaks to the power of language. Ann Coulter was not trying to insult John Edwards. Ann Coulter was throwing bigot-laden red meat to the conservatives gathered, that gays are a funny joke when not their political targets.

And Elizabeth and John are right. They shouldn't be hurt by Coulter because he wears her hate-filled label like a badge of honor. If she was calling him gay, which based on his wife's intimate knowledge he's not, he has nothing to be hurt. He has know shame being counted among the likes of yours truly. If she was attacking the gay community, he stands with us and will fight on our behalf, moving on unwounded by her attack.

By the way, right now, until Al Gore jumps in, John Edwards is my horse in this race.

UPDATED (Monday, 11:00 AM): World Famous Editorial Cartoonist Rob Torneo stopped by today in the comments. Welcome Rob! His pencil has left something on the matter, so I thought I'd add it to this post.

Rob Tornoe - Brian's new favorite cartoonist


Also, I really like this cartoon of his I found while checking out his site. (I love editorial cartoons, so if anyone else wants to send me some, I'll give you a shout out!)

2 comments:

Rob Tornoe said...

I'm an editorial cartoonist from New Jersey, and here are my thoughts on this whole Ann Coulter thing:

To view cartoon, click here.

Anonymous said...

I'm astounded that there aren't more comments about her slur. This behavior is allowed by free speach, but as a civil society we have to let people know what we approve or dissapprove of. I, for one, do not want the political debates to be encouraged by the lack of negative reaction and turn the campaigns into schoolyard name calling.

I have not listened to Mrs. Coulter before, but I was shocked and a little confused by this tirade. There is clearly no merit to the comment, so it appears to be her simply stating that she hates John Edwards, and wants to hurt him, his wife, and his children by publicly calling him names. I do not know why anyone would applaude to that.