Monday, May 21, 2007

Ouch!

I just bought gas on my lunch break and paid $3.79 for low-octane gas! $3.79! My daily commute costs me about $4.50 in fuel costs alone. Add in $7 a day in insurance. (I am it figuring the same regardless of mileage so it's not all that accurate.) Plus maintenance which I am figuring at $1.13 a day, means my commute, right now, is running about $12.63. It takes me an average of 45 minutes each way to get home, totaling 90 minutes. If I am value my labor at $25.00/hour, there's another $37.50. Wow! My commute is costing me $50.

Last week was Bike to Work week. I mused about getting a bike and commuting on it 2 days a week. It would take me longer -- probably as much as 90 minutes each way. Hmmm. No fuel costs. No insurance costs. Minimal maintenance costs. Say I find a great deal on a good bike and between my bike and accessories I spend about $450. And I bike 2 days of the 50 weeks I work. And it takes me 3 hours a day to ride. It will cost me about $75 a day.

But I'd get a great ass.

I'll write more later, I'm gonna go look for a bike on Craigslist.

2 comments:

shindo said...

I feel your pain, bro.

I haven't paid that much in San Diego yet, but even cheapest stations are getting very expensive.

Jenmac said...

In NYC, if you never take cabs and if you have an unlimited Metrocard, you end up paying about $1.30 a day. Less than that if you ride subways and buses more often. Makes it easier to justify spending obscene amounts on rent.
Your blog is making me chatty.