Friday, May 18, 2007

It's been days...

I am having a hard time returning to the blog from my Thai-atus. Rest assured, I am trying. I just having made it happen yet. I am still thinking though. For example:

1) I had a cupcake today. It was from Auntie Em's and it was good. It was also "Carrot Cake" and thus why it wasn't excellent. I rollerbladed -- so 1995 that Blogger doesn't even recognize the word in spell check -- through Skid Row to get this cup cake.

2) Los Angeles is still like the wild west sometimes. The lawlessness can be pretty bad. I saw an illegal street food vendor -- with no county permits, no sanitation, no hat or hair net -- getting a parking ticket. The meter maid ticketed her for parking her jerry-rigged restaurant in a red zone. Then the meter maid left. No call to the police or the county. You can illegally sell potentially tainted food, just don't park in a red zone.

All this lawlessness can really challenge one's liberal sensibilities. They say, "If you aren't a liberal in your 20s you have no heart, if you aren't a conservative in your 40s you have no brain." They also say, "A conservative is merely a liberal who's been robbed." If I want law and order, if I don't want people selling food from dirty pickle buckets on the side of the dirty street, does that make me unliberal? If I think graffitti is repulsive and not art, does that make me unliberal?

3) I made my first suggestion to JenMac's awesome blog. I hope she does it. I recommended she attend one of those fantastically horrible morning news show concerts that feature Rascal Flats, Jennifer Hudson, or Fergie. If I lived in New York, I'd totally go to one.

I wonder if Los Angeles has an equivalent. I think I should do more weird LA things, things like my mid-day skates through Skid Row. (Did you know Skid Row is the single largest homeless population in the United States. There are an estimated 9,000 people living in this 50 square block are of downtown Los Angeles. It's gross.)

4) Do you know where fresh fish in Los Angeles comes from? Apparently, Skid Row. (Did you know Skid Row is the single largest homeless population in the United States. There are an estimated 9,000 people living in this 50 square block are of downtown Los Angeles. It's gross.) On my skate today, the fantastically foul stench of urine was broken through by the much better stench of decaying fish. I looked up and noticed a number of large businesses with combinations of these words in the signs: fresh, fish, seafood, ocean, sea, fresh??? Seriously, how fresh can seafood be in the heart of Los Angeles?

5) Right now, I am most amazed by mounted police horses. Check these horses out some time. How is it that they don't freak out, storm through crowds and kill thousands? I can't skate through Skid Row once ever 6 months without freaking out and these horses work down here every day! AMAZING!

No comments: