Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Falwell is Dead. Oops.

Jerry Falwell died this morning. Oh well. Humans are mortal, we die. Especially morbidly obese fat slobs. News agencies are speculating on the cause of death. I imagine it had something to do with having obstructed bowels, you know, with the whole Republican Party's lips lodged so far up his ass it was bound to turn out in disaster.

I do not like this man. He is scum of the earth. CNN reminded me of one of my favorite Falwell memories:
Falwell has found himself at the center of several controversies, such as the one sparked by his comments two days after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in which he seemed to blame "abortionists," gays, lesbians, the ACLU and People for American Way for causing the attacks, saying they "helped this happen."

On September 14, 2001, he told CNN that he would "never blame any human being except the terrorists, and if I left that impression with gays or lesbians or anyone else, I apologize."
This is wrong in so many ways. First of all, September 11th was carried out by Fundamentalist Islamic terrorists which have A LOT more in common with Falwell than abortionists, homosexuals, and feminists. Al Qaeda certainly wouldn't place itself on our side of an ideological battle. Second, there should be no license in this country to say dangerous, hurtful, ugly things and than apologize 2 seconds later and be welcomed back in to the mainstream. Falwell is entitled to say whatever he wants, and what he says clearly places him with the lunatic fringe. Don't let him apologize and suddenly treat him like his a grade school social studies teacher.

This is all moot because he's dead and I shed no tears for him.

1 comment:

shindo said...

It's been a week now. I've done my own post as well as a few others I know, but hopefully we're better off now. I can only hope some of his followers turn around and the ministry goes away soon. While I can't be happy about his death, I have no tears either. His victims are more deserving of them.