Monday, May 28, 2007

Liberal Guilt

A few weeks back, my roommates and I decided to hire a housekeeper. We really needed one. We often work seven days a week, and 12 or 14 hour days aren't unusual. So we hired Angela.

She comes on Mondays but I've never met her because I am always at work. Today, Memorial Day, I have the day off. We had a number of house guests and I think we shocked her this morning when there were about 8 people in the house.

After running errands, I came home and am relaxing in the house. Angela is working. And I feel really badly, like I should be helping her.

We are paying her -- well. Why do I feel bad to have a Latina working while I sit on my ass watching TV?

Damn, liberal guilt.

2 comments:

shindo said...

You're busy guys and you're helping provide someone with a job. Be cool customers - that makes someone's job a lot easier.

Anonymous said...

You are just the oppressive white man. Forget that Angela spends HER holidays working so that you, the oppressive white man, can sit around sipping margaritas (almost as if taunting her heritage) and talking about how your party is going to change this country for the better.
Talk to you soon. Have to go. Pa is planning a lynchin.