Monday, July 31, 2006

The Fight for First

Everybody likes to be the first at something. For example, there is a pretty good chance that I was the first in my family to vote for a Democrat.

In an attempt to avoid pulling together a report for work, I decided to learn more about the Boston Common. I referred to Wikipedia which is, admittedly, full of errors. That's when I found this fun one:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Notice, highlighted in yellow, that the Wikipedia entry describes the Park Street Station as "the first subway station in America." I don't think that is necessarily true. There was, likely, at least two stations that can claim that place in history because one subway station wouldn't do you much good. Where would you take the train if there was no other place to stop? Did they really build a subway that is nothing more than the Disneyland Railroad, looping around the city? I don't think so.

1 comment:

Damian said...

Makes me wonder who the first subway busker was. I'm guessing Punch and Judy were involved somehow.