Thursday, March 09, 2006

Politics Sucks Says Gov. McGreevey!

I don't blog nearly as much about politics as I think people would expect me to. I still care about a lot of things, but have been so turned off by how ugly politics in Los Angeles has gotten. I blame people like Gray Davis. He ran some of the ugliest campaigns in history and these campaigns set the tone for some many of the political geeks junkies running around seconding motions and calling for points of order at club meetings.

I supported Antonio Villaraigosa last year simply because 4 years earlies, Mayor Hahn ran an ugly campaign in which he insulted progressive Democrats. I can support people who may fall on the wrong side of the issues almost entirely because they are good people. Fortunately, there are so few good people in politics, I rarely have to make that choice.

Image hosting by PhotobucketMy friend Damian is the president of the San Fernando Valley Young Democrats. He's one of the most stand-up people you'll ever meet. Nice as can be. And funny as shit. Not that shit is all that funny, but sometimes, if you are really drunk or stoned, you might fight one of shit's jokes pretty funny. Unfortunately, he typically resorts to the kind potty-humor you enjoyed in 3rd grade. But I digress.

Damian's club -- not his fan club of which by the nature of this post it would seem I was the president, but SFVYD -- endorsed this lady running for Senate in the Valley. She's running in the primary against this guy. (Do the names really matter? I don't think so.) It just so happens, the guy was kind of one of the founders of SFVYD. Some folks in the geek... I mean political... media seem to like the negative spin of the guy not even being endorsed by a club he founded. It's ironic, but really, it's not a slight. It's not like his time in office was spent spurning a club that hates him so much now that they'd endorse Angelyne over him. It's just that in a race with two decent, progressive Democrats running, SFVYD felt the chick was the better candidate. It's not that's he'd bad, just that she's better.

But that's not acceptable in California politics. So this nasty piece runs in the news. And Damian, being the stand up guy he is responds. And now he's being attacked in the "blogosphere" -- first time using that word, hopefully the last -- as if he were the spawn of satan. Which he insists he's not. Though, let's be honest, who names their kid "Damian" after the movie The Omen came out? Hmm... (in best Churchlady voice, now) ...Satan?

I feel bad. Damian's a rock star. So is the endorsed candidate. And California politics sucks. And in case you don't read the news enough to decipher the headline, it doesn't suck in the good way. You know, like a blow job.

1 comment:

Damian said...

You know, my parents always told me I was named before the movie came out. But damned if imdb doesn't say US release in 1976. I think my parents were just clueless about popular culture.