Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Who's a good liberal?

Between my white guilt and my aversion to paying high fuel prices, I decided to take some action. Today, I got my ass up a little early and drove (I know, very LA!) to the Green Line train station and commuted to work on mass transit... with the masses.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


The above photo is one I found on the Internets of my train station in El Segundo. It's about 5 miles from my house, but it's 5 completely traffic free miles down the coast and then through the quaint industrial city of El Segundo.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketI started my journey on the Green Line which runs down the middle of a freeway. (Again, so very LA!) From there, I waited a few minutes for my connection to the Blue Line, "the busiest light rail line in the country." That's not rhetoric. It is really crowded, but I snaked a seat and was able to read in comfort. Of course, some guy made some bitchy comment because I moved quickly in to my seat and didn't offer it up to a woman on board. Deal with it lady. You might have big boobs and a nice ass, but I have little interest in either. I do, however, have a HUGE interest in my book and I would like to read it sitting down.

Finally, once downtown I connected to a bus for a 5 minute ride to the office. There's another way I can go, too, I might try that tomorrow.

The ride itself took about 20 to 30 minutes longer than if I drove myself. But I was able to read, and I haven't been reading much recently. I'm way behind and I need to start plowing through some books. It was remarkably unstressful, which I think is good for me right now. Oh, and did I mention I helped save the world while I was at it? And saved a few bucks.

See, tonight I need to meet my parents in Universal City, right near the Red Line (LA's subway) station. So I'm gonna take the Red Line, and then commute back to my car after dinner. All that extra driving would mean I'd clock in about 50 miles, about $8.50 in commuting costs and a lot of stressful traffic. LA has pretty cheap mass transit and my whole day on the bus and train will cost $3.00. Momma loves a bargain!

And I saved the world. How about you?

2 comments:

Raphael said...

BRAVO!

Amy Witry said...

AND you didn't have to pay the ricockulious parking fee at Universal--you saved big cash!