Thursday, January 18, 2007

5 Things You Wish You Knew About Me

I've been hit with the "5 Things..." BS and I'm struggling with it because, well honestly, I pretty much tell everyone everything I'd be willing to tell in the first place. Remember, I'm the guy who told his mom when the doctor thought he had syphilis. (I didn't have it, by the way.) Unfortunately, JenMac hit me with this so I need to pull something together.

All you have to do is write five things in your blog that your readers don't know about you. Then pick five new people to do the same. If you've already participated in this, or are about to at someone else's behest, don't sweat it. I never did like chain emails, and this is enough like them that I'll understand if you want no part of it. But it's less dumb and more fun.
Observe: http://jenmacjen.blogspot.com/

1) I hate the song, "Amazing Grace." I don't dislike it, I hate it. I hate when I hear it. I leave the room if I can. It has no place in a Catholic Church, and certainly no place among those with any taste in music. Until I heard a version on piano by this guy, Elijah Brossenbroek. Okay, so he's a MySpace spammer, but I love piano music and can tolerate his version of the song.

2) I am afraid of my voice. When I was trying to be a good, closeted gay, I always thought my voice was gonna give me a way. It's not particularly feminine but it has a quality to it. I can't place it. My mother's voice is a little shrill and New Yorky. My dad's is pretty deep. Mine, there's something just gay about it. Fortunately, my brother's voice is a little gay, too, so I would try to hide behind that. Also, fortunately, I'm gay. So having a gayish voice is okay. My poor brother.

3) I never read a single book all the way through in high school and college. I'd skim. I'd read the Cliff Notes. I'd watch the movie. The first real book I read from cover to cover was Kurt Vonnegut's Timequake. I read it in the summer of 2000, about 2 months after graduating from college. This means I only have a passing familiarity with the books I was assigned in high school and college and I missed out on most of the classics that a person of my age and intelligence should have read.

4) I never proofread a single blog post. Sure, point out a mistake and I'll fix it. Otherwise you get the crap exactly as it comes out of my head. All its inperfections in place.

5) I like me. This is just as much for me as it is for you. I need to know that I like me right now. I don't always.

And now you know.

As for who I'll hit up, this will take more thought. I read a lot of blogs, but don't count many among my friends. I'll see what I can come up with.

2 comments:

agfitz said...

I seriously can't tell if you included both errors in this comment on purpose:
"All it's inperfections in place."

d-town said...

I never read one book all the way through in high school or college, either.

Textbooks like politics or geography don't count ... I'm talking mandatory literature (which is almost guaranteed to not hold my interest).

Cliff Notes, the movie, regular class attendance, and copious notetaking during said classes ... that's how I got through.