Friday, February 23, 2007

Great Achievements in Douchebaggery III

I know y'all heard it. Former NBA "star" Tim Hardaway hates me. That's right, me and all the other gay people. (I put star in quotes because I barely follow sports enough to know who the stars are, and I swear I've only heard of Penny Hardaway. I guess Tim has gotten the press he craves.)
"Well, you know, I hate gay people," Hardaway said near the close of an interview that mostly focused on his tenure with the Heat and the team's current state. "I let it be known, I don't like gay people. I don't like to be around gay people.

"Yeah, I'm homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world for that or in the United States for that. So, yeah, I don't like it." -- From the South-Florida Sun-Sentinnel
It was keeping me up at night. It's so rare to stumble across an ignorant bigot, a shock to find out that people hate. How could I handle such devastating news? Fear not, I think he's sorry. This week, after the NBA told him there would be no more checks coming his way from them, he may have had a change of heart, telling Scoop Jackson of ESPN: "...it was just the wrong choice of words. It came out of my mouth real crude and real bad and real ugly. And people think that that's the way I feel. That I hate [gay people], and I don't."

Read on my investigative proteges. There's plenty more contrition in this douchebag's heart. Hardaway continues, "I don't condone what they do, but I don't hate them."

Whaaaaaa?

Condone? When did we ever ask for you to "condone" anything? You know what I don't condone? Ignorant sycophants leaching off the media and allowing them to spew there nonsensical bile across countless valuable inches of newspaper space. I also don't condone grown men, college-educated men, whose mastery of grammar and language competes with a 12 year-old street thug:
When we was growing up Scoop, if we saw gay people or whatever, we ran across the street. We got away from them. Our parents, our friends, our families knew that that wasn't right. We didn't want to be around that and they definitely didn't want us kids around it. And it's not that they hated gay people, they just felt they it wasn't right. Let them do what they want to do. And that was my experience when I was growing up. Not acknowledging them. Now did something happen to me? No. But I did have a friend that something happened to him in a Catholic school, but that is another can of worms that it's not my place to open because it's not my life. But to answer your question, 'No.' Nothing happened to me. I just don't condone [being gay]. When I see gay people holding hands or kissing in the streets, I just don't think that's right.
I like it when the bigots of the world are revealed to have the intellectual capacity of a potato (or "potatoe" if you so prefer).

Mr. Hardaway, please keep your half-apologies to yourself. I don't care about your poor"word choice," I care that you think that you sit in some position to judge. You bring nothing to the table but vitriolic rhetoric that destroys people and community. You are nothing more than a douchebag. Now shut up and go home.

Second Runner Up in "Great Achievements in Douchebaggery": The Media.

Why must you give these people a platform from which to speak? Yes, he has a right to his assinine opinion. And when he buys a newspaper, sets up a blog (ahem), or spends his money traveling to every backwater church in America to spew hate, than he can wax poetic on the virtues of hatred all he wants. There is a Constitutional right to free speech that is gospel truth for me, but there is also a God-given olbigation to common sense and compassion. And no media outlet needs to embrace these douchebags so they can taint our young people with their vile hatred.

BONUS: Ever notice all the good "ugly" words start with the letter "V"? Awesome.

Previous "Great Achievements in Douchebaggery": Rudy Guiliani, Mitt Romney

No comments: