Monday, February 26, 2007

Juveniles.

I work for a non-profit organization. I'm the Development Director and grantwriter. I write grants. Grant proposals have budgets in them. Follow me here, it's slowly making sense.

Budgets have salaries in them. People read budgets with salary information. One of our programs has accomplished nothing in over a year, despite having funding. None of the staff working on that program is familiar with the proposals. Finally, I get fed up having to bullshit my way through reports because management doesn't communicate. This program manager has a high school education and has been at our agency for over 15 years. I call a meeting at which I confront the program staff about our grant obligations. Meeting goes well. Staff is excited to be informed and to participate in the process. Even my Junior Nemesis starts talking to me because she's so impressed and grateful.

And I have to endur a 15 minute conversation where program manager is upset because the budget was included in the materials. Heaven forbid people see salary data...

Except we are a public funded agency. Our salary data is, as is required by law, public information. A 5 minute search on the Internet returns most of the budget information for the agency. A few hours at city hall would result in FULL disclosure of this information.

Instead of having real, honest discussions with non-profit employees about why they make what they do, they want to lie and hide it.

1 comment:

Damian said...

We have the same issues in the State Assembly (and Senate). All staff salary info is public record, and available on a prominent website search engine. One problem, though: the info is most definitely not up-to-date (as I can attest). This is a major pain in the ass for chiefs of staff trying to hire on a budget, as you can imagine.