Thursday, April 05, 2007

Only in LA.

Ever have an "Only in L.A." moment? For those of you not living in Los Angeles, you probably don't have them as often.

I did tonight. I needed to meet friends this evening and squeeze in Mass for Holy Thursday. My crazy ass church wouldn't cut it since Mass wasn't until 7:30 and since it's big and gay, the dolled up liturgy would likely last until about 10:00. So I ventured to St. Agatha's on Adams. It in a traditionally black neighborhood and used to be a mostly black parish. I went for the first time in college, my first time at a "Gospel Mass." It was so amazing!

Well, neighborhoods change and like much of L.A., Adams has a much larger Latino population than it once did. Most Catholic churches have offered Spanish-language Mass for some time. But St. Agatha's is a smaller parish and it only could offer one Mass on Holy Thursday.

Solution: A bilingual Mass. A bilingual Gospel Mass. Black, Latino, and a few white gays -- it's also a pretty progressive parish -- worshipping together. It rocked.

No comments: