Monday, October 09, 2006

What to do?

I have a problem which I have decided to solve by doing nothing. I don't think it will work.

We live in a duplex -- my roommates and I share the 3-bedroom upper unit and our neighbors share a 2-bedroom lower unit. There are 2 parking spaces in the building's carport and and a space in front that is small, but can hold a parked Honda Civic, like mine.

The downstairs neighbors moved in because my old roommate knew them and told them about the place, so we know them a little, although I know them the least of everyone. Since they moved in in January, we shared the 2 carport spaces -- one each -- and our unit dominated the front space saying we had always had it. Occassionally though, the short fat one parks his truck -- which only fits by blocking in his roommate -- in "my" space.

The facts: No lease, neither ours nor theirs, discusses the parking assignments. We have a 3-bedroom vs. their 2-bedroom. We pay more rent because of this. 98% of the time, the space is mine. He only parks their when the parking on the street is bad.

I'm afraid, though, that this trend is becoming more common. What should I do?

Should I say something to him? Should I demand he stop parking in my space? Should I create a schedule which we use to share the space? Should I slash his tires and his on his upholstery?

Help!

2 comments:

Rick Andreoli said...

I hate parking issues! I also hate apartments and dealing with other people (and trust me, it doesn't get better with home ownership). Is the landlord willing to say something? What do your roommates-- their closer friends-- think is a good solution?

d-town said...

We had a similar situation in a triplex that i lived in a few years ago. two parking spots in the driveway, then it was all street parking. it wasn't bad at all on the street, it just sometimes meant you had a long walk back to the house with groceries, etc., sometimes.

For us, it was purely first come, first served. Parking wasn't addressed in the lease, but the landlord told me that it was just understood that the aforementioned was the policy, and it had worked well to this point.

As annoying as it is to be inconvenienced, you may just have to learn to share the space. If, like you said, you get the space 98% of the time, I'd say you're making out pretty well.

Just find another excuse to slash his tires ... lol.

(BTW, nice blog. i'm in development, too!)