Monday, October 02, 2006

Abercrombie & Fitch Scares Me...

Last night I headed to the Grove, near my old hood, with the gentleman friend (he's back... more on that later) and another to catch a flick. The film was decent and the movie-going experience was mostly uneventful. However, prior to the movie, I had the sh*t scared out of me.

Casual friend in the company needs a new hat. He lost his last one. Trying to figure out where to go in his search, we suggested that staple, Abercrombie & Fitch. The Grove has had an A&F store for some time. Well, apparently they changed it. Casual friend was afraid of the store. "Hogwash," I said. He dared me to enter it. He'd be waiting outside.

Now, let me put up a disclaimer. I'm not a huge Abercrombie fan. I really only like their baseball caps, a trend that started in college when my residents bought me one for a birthday gift. Since then, I've own probably 2 or 3 things from the store. I used to like one of their scents. I had a sweater from there I loved. But I'm not a huge A&F billboard. Mostly because I think the store's attitude sucks.

My first trip to Abercrombie was about 1998. I was in college and the brand was slowly becoming really popular. I was an RA and one of my residents worked at the South Bay Galleria store, so I checked it out. It was weird. The sales staff didn't do a lot of selling. They basically ignored you. Over the next 8 years, I'd learn this was by design.

They always hired pretty people and told them to ignore the customer. That get's old really fast. My dollars found their way in to friendlier stores.

I've always like the look of the Abercrombie & Fitch stores though. Clean. White. Easy to find stuff, which is important because the staff ain't gonna be much help.

The new store at the Grove, one of 2 flagship stores (the other is on NYC's 5th Avenue), really was scary.

All the white is gone. The posters of have naked men greeting you at the windows gone. Simplicity, gone. The windows have been covered by massive shutters blocking any view of the inside. All the wood is dark, and it's everywhere. The lighting is dim and the music is loud.

Oh, and the clothes, they are under glass! All the jeans are stacked high to the ceiling behind a counter with display numbers under glass. Each counter is staffed with a salesperson. Presumably, you look at the jeans you like under glass and the salesperson will retreive your size for you. Like buying jewelry. And since each pair of jeans will likely require a second mortgage on your house, the jewelry buying experience may be quite appropriate.

The store is huge. To give you an idea, I found this photo of the center staircase. It's big. The store is 3 floors and spreads out much farther than before. It's got a crapload of beautiful employees. All judging you. And now, you have no choice but to talk to them. Abercrombie & Fitch scares me.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Fortunately, I just turned 28, and really, I shouldn't be shopping there anymore any way. Lest I become one of "those" guys.

No comments: