Thursday, February 07, 2008

Tuesday Night

I was back working at the LA Gay & Lesbian Center. Whenever I have a work dream, it's always staged there. Our Development staff was hanging out in our center room and we had a newish staff person. It was a woman I worked with at Inner City, a job I had after the Gays, but thats not important. This woman was cool, very smart, and better than most of the tools at that job, but she was a little radical and revolutionary.

Well, I made one of my typical off-color comments and she had walked in on it and was offended. When I went to defend the remark and apologize or whatever else I had in mind, I couldn't remember her name. I couldn't remember a co-workers name right in front of her. But it got worse. I couldn't remember anyone's name in the group. I forgot what some of the objects in the room were called. It crescendoed in not being able to remember my own name, resulting in a breakdown. The woman -- whose name is Allegra by the way -- and the CEO of the agency, who I always hated, tried to console me and decided to take me to the hospital. They both walked me to the elevator.

Once in side, Allegra turned into this interesting fella that I met recently and who was in the group of people I was hanging out with Tuesday night for reals. I only know a little of this guy and I can't think of any other time when someone I just met so quickly found a way into my dreams. The three of us -- this fella, the CEO, and me -- walked to his truck, a Honda Ridgeline, so he could drive me to the hospital. Once there, the mega-bitch CEO was cradling me like a child and the fella was holding my hand and wiping my face with a cloth wearing Allegra's clothing from earlier in the dream. (Not women's clothing, but pseudo-revolutionary garb. Like something Kim from work might wear.) I woke up around then.

Some of my questions:
Why do all my work dreams take place at the LA Gay & Lesbian Center? I've worked at 12 places in my entire life and over the past few years, every work dream has been there and they are coming much more frequently recently.

Why did Allegra, a woman I only worked with a few months at Inner City make an appearance at the Gay & Lesbian Center in this dream?

Did I have a stroke? Too much stress? What happened to cause me to forget all these things?

Why did the fella make an appearance and why did he assume Allegra's role in the very beginning?

Why do I remember the detail of his truck so well? Especially since the fella really drives a Saab? Where did the Honda Ridgeline come from?

No comments: