Thursday, December 01, 2005

World AIDS Day

Nothing snarky from me. Today is World AIDS Day. This is a day--which I think is especially well chosen to fall at the beginning of our holiday-consumerism crush--to reflect on what we are doing as a world people to confront this crisis.

In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, most Americans were shocked out how people were left by our government to die in the streets. Post-Tsunami, the world rallied to come to the aid of those left behind by 200,000 dead.

In California alone, 150,000 men, women, and children are living with HIV and AIDS. Worldwide, it's more than 40 million people. I remember thinking after Katrina that, "My God, a whole city has been lost." Should AIDS win, several whole nations will be lost.

I've now known a hell of a lot more people with HIV and AIDS then I ever expected I would when I was growing up in Santa Clarita, California. The reality is that these men and women will likely die long before their time--even with the drugs and treatment plans of today. What's worse, I've seen first hand what this disease--and the more effective treatment-- does to people. To their bodies and their minds. It's devastating. Don't be deceived. We must stop it and cure it.

What are we doing to address this? Far to little. The very least thing we can do is visit this site of Bristol Myers Squibb. They'll donate a buck for every candle lit.

No comments: